Library 1938
Even the founders of Odessa in 1886 knew the importance of a library to the development of a community. They promised a library to the early settlers but it burned when the Methodist's college burned mysteriously just before the turn of the century.

By 1919, the women of Odessa were already sponsoring fundraising events for a county library. Thirteen years later, under the direction of Miss Bertha King, the American Legion Auxiliary got behind the project and things really started happening.

By 1938 the Commissioners voted to convert the old jailhouse into the County Library. Despite the fact that they gave no money to purchase books, by the end of the first year of operation, the Ector County Library had over 1000 books, 38 subscriptions to periodicals and a circulation of 4,438.

In 1998, Aug. 19, the Ector County Library celebrated it's 60 Anniversary.

Courtesy, Permian Historical Society Collection,.

Clear Page
Updated: May 4, 1998