This photograph was taken by Mary Lee Waddell. She was standing on the southwest corner of the Courthouse lawn, looking North West. The Large building in the center background was the old Nutt Grocery and the building just to the right is the old Opera House.
With every war declared, Ector County has proudly sent its sons and daughters
to fight for freedom. The Odessa service flag, held by one of the soldiers
was finished that day by Mrs. A.W. Wight and auxiliary members of the Odessa
Red Cross. The banner was "emblazoned with 54 stars, including 4 gold stars;
Ector and Crane Counties' contribution to the Great War."
Courtesy: The Flavor Of Odessa, 1891-1991; editor:Ann Sherburn.
The Heritage of Odessa Foundation.