Our Marker is located directly East of Deaderick Hall in the front lawn between the trees and the Building.
Historical Marker reads:
ODESSA Ector Co.) US 385 in Odessa
Site of Odessa College, 1889-1891
Established through efforts of Odessa Townsite Co., which gave $12,000; a Northern Methodist group matched this fund in 1888.
Rev. M. A. Daugherty, Pittsburgh, PL, was placed in charge, and a 20-acre plot was allotted to the college. Erection of a 2-story building began in 1890. In 1891 classes for 14 students were taught by Miss Alice Wright, of Maine. A "mystery" fire destroyed the college after one session.
This church-sponsored college was never rebuilt. In 1946, the new Odessa College was
founded to fulfill aims of leadership in education.
Located next to the Odessa Historical Marker is The Time Capsule from the year 1958.
The Odessa College Time Capsule lying beneath this plaque was buried April 8, 1958. and is to be opened on the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the College in 1971 and again in 2000 A.D.