Known by the R Brand, the R. W. Smith Ranch was started in 1906. Founder
R. W. Smith, first saw Odessa on December 13, 1887 when he was a cowboy
working for C. C. Slaughter for only $20.00 a month. After Ranching in
Culberson County, R.W. Smith returned to Odessa to establish a ranch 12
miles northwest, paying $5.00 an acre. At that time Mr Smith recalls that
there were only 600 people in the County.
Along with Mr. Teague Baker, Smith built the first country school in Ector
County. Miss Lora Shackleford, their first teacher, was paid $15.00 per
month plus room and board. Photograph [no date].
Courtesy: The Flavor Of Odessa, 1891-1991; editor:Ann Sherburn.
The Heritage of Odessa Foundation.
Updated: May 23, 1998